Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thoughts of a Dying Missionary

No, I'm not actually dying.  Dying is a term we use for a missionary going home.  The period of time on your mission being like your life.  Thus when you start your mission, you are "born" and when you end your mission you "die".  Anyway I timed this post to be my last post and it is to be posted the moment I should be walking on to the plane heading home.  You could say at the time of death, these being my parting words.  As a missionary, especially one heading home, (or dying) you wonder if the time you spent was worth it.  If your effort really made a difference.  Two years dedicated to serving God, but was it better served elsewhere? Thousands talked to, but did you impact anyone?  These questions aren't hard ones to answer once you've serviced to the best of your abilities.  As for my time, it was one of the best investments I've ever made.  Sure I put off work and schooling for 2 years, but I gained an education that I would not have been able to obtain otherwise.  And did I impact anyone? Well I hope so, but at the very least I've impacted myself.  With all said and done the entire experience was one of enlightenment, self- improvement,  and life-altering. I wouldn't have traded it for any other opportunity. 

I now enter the 'afterlife' of my mission.  Having now learned many principles and skills that can and will carry me through life.  I would say that I am very much the same person I was when I started.  The same likes and dislikes.  The difference being that I now understand myself, God's plan for me and my potential.  Which in reality, only enriches the life I previously enjoyed.  A happiness I never thought obtainable.  Of course there were changes, but it was the mere shedding of unwanted attributes, leaving room for better ones.  As for missionary work.  I've thought it a shame that such an opportunity to serve your fellow being must end.  Although as one friend reminded me, it doesn't have to end.  She was right.  I think Paul explains the desired attitude best : "Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you"  Just because the tag comes off and I return to normal life of school work, and future family, doesn't mean that I can't participate in such a glorious opportunity as is missionary work.  What I've learned on my mission can't die, it lives on.

2 comments:

  1. Extremely well worded. There is not too much written about returned Missionaries. I loved having it explained to me. You did a great job at expressing your feelings, emotions and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home Niles! It is great to feel of your spirit and of the things you learn and gained from your mission. It truly will help you throughout the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...